Monday, May 24, 2010

Short Timer...Taiwan is Calling

Greetings to all...more great stories from Elder Carter...

-------------------

Ni Hao!!!
One of the best weeks ever. I loved it this week!! It was SO hard. I broke down at least 2 or 3 times. But you know me. That's what I do. I break down. All the time. ;)
So Friday I got beat up in soccer. I got my first black eye ever from Elder Westfall in the Spanish districts, who backhanded me (on accident) as I stormed him from behind. My fault. Then, I chased Elder Nelson all the way to the street from the field for that stinkin' ball and we ended up tripping over each other. I have a reputation as a fantastic goalie (not true), and I let in about one (or two, let's be honest) on average per game. And this time I had missed about 5, and Elder Nelson scored on me, and he can't shoot worth beans :P. So I was pretty upset, and switched to midfield. We tripped over each other and I landed right on my shoulder. Pulled some sort of tendon and it hurt for the rest of the day and into the next morning. I also messed up my left knee a little in trying to dribble past a scholarshipped, BYU Soccer defender (I'll have you know, I did get the ball past him). Then about 5 minutes before gym was over I ran at Elder Westfall from behind and he jumped to stop the ball right when I came on him (that was the plan, this next part? not so much). When he jumped his arms came up and my right eye met his right hand. You'll see the effect in my pics soon (I took the pic a day and a half later, so not as tough looking). But the broken blood vessel still shows today. And I'm proud of it, actually. It almost ruined my mood that day. Oh well.
TA. I taught a new convert this weekend with Elders Nelson and Jensen. It went well. We introduced priesthood blessings to him, and taught the second lesson. I shared Shelby's priesthood miracle in Chinese, and it was fantastic! In her letter, I asked her if it was alright that I did that. I sure hope so!! That story brought the Spirit so strong and it stayed the rest of the lesson. The man we taught had a HEAVY Taiwan accent, and, unbelievably, I understood him. And now that we can ask people to repeat what they said, it was easy to understand him when we couldn't quite catch it. It was always the accent that messed us up, but we only had to ask to repeat twice! :D
We have two TAs left, and after that we'll have a million a day in Taiwan. Two weeks from today, I will be packing to get on the plane the next morning. So weird!!! It'll be here before I know it, and I don't want to go yet, either! I'm so excited, but now that I really do love my companions and the people I serve with, I don't want to leave right when relationships start getting solidified. :(
I was asked to teach on Book of Mormon in District Meeting yesterday, which was great! I have never felt like anyone really enjoyed a lesson I taught except for yesterday. I felt so good about it, knowing it wasn't perfect, and I definitely could have involved people more, but they did come up to me and tell me that it was a good lesson after.
Also a big hug and a thank you to the Watters, and the Blackburns! Thanks so much! I may be gaining weight everyday (I think I finally broke 200, but I'm not gonna check ;), but I love getting packages with treats, it makes me feel great!!! So I have now, a drawer full of taffy, and three boxes full of cookies and chocolate (no joke, no exaggeration). It prob won't get all eaten. :D
No worries about plane stuff, I should get info this week, along with my visa and passport next week. I don't know. But I will let you know right away.
I will try to see if I can get out of ticketed areas with enough time to get back, to see family. But I don't even know if that's allowed yet. I will ask President Baker. Keep your ears open for info. I love you all!!
This church is true. God loves all of us, and really is with us and watches over us 24/7 for eternity. We just sometimes forget it. And it's at those times that we need to pray.
Sorry this is rushed, but I have 2 minutes left ;D !!! Love you all, stay strong, love the pictures! Don't EVER forget who you are. Keep going to the temple. All the time!!

-Elder Carter

No comments: