Monday, April 5, 2010

Missing the Dog?

Here is the latest email from Elder Carter.

Hey guys!!
And it's Pday again. hooray!! Man, it's been so busy. And we have triple the work this week. Blech. But I love it! So let me start by telling you that this week I had to do a couple more things for my visa.

Moving on...
I got that belt, I'm writing about 7 letters today to thank people and reply to other letters. I did get Shelby's letter, but I didn't get it until after I got Mom's. Weird, huh?
It's been a rollercoaster this week. Learning more Chinese all the time, and can keep up a conversation and understand most of what people say (at least other Elders). My teacher and I converse frequently, but I always have a hard time hearing it. This language is actually a beautiful language. I know almost every elder must say that about there language, but it's true! I forgot just how much I appreciate it.

Through prayer, faith, service, and hard study and work, we've been able to come out of contention, for a time. The firesides, and devotionals are fantastic, and I've never been more immersed in the Spirit. It's amazing how the Spirit brings people together. Next time I write I will bring my notes with me to share with you what I've learned through the devotionals, firesides, meetings, and conferences. Right now, I've just been focused on getting an entire email out. I have hardly anytime to write, and will probably soon start taking breaks. But not from the email. I just don't know if I can manage writing everyone right when they write me. If I do that today, I have 7 to write.

I get my haircut today! :D I was parting it for the first little while, but I figure I'm more confident if I do it Cali-style duck tail, and I was the ONLY Elder who even parted his hair in our zone. I'm not exaggerating. When I get out in the field, things will change, but I do things better when I don't feel like a dork. :P Not like it really matters, duck tailing is also faster and easier to do, considering we have no time in the mornings for anything.

We are so unbelievably blessed to have sisters in our district. They keep us in check and help bring the Spirit so much faster.

(I had some trouble this week with contention, so) I knelt down and begged for forgiveness and for humility. I asked, "Lord, Is it I?" Which came from my teacher from his missionary stories. Yes, I got rebuked. But not too badly, because I already knew that it was my fault. As soon as I asked the question, I got the answer, and I immediately got up and acted on it. And I am glad I did. I'm not very good at following Spiritiual promptings, but I recognize them a lot more here, and am working to be 100%.

Got to go soon, so just lettin' you know I love you. Tell Bailey! (Bailey is our dog) Started missing her this morning :( lol, it's all good. I love it here, and things can only get better. We have to have the first vision memorized in Chinese by the end of the week, and we have to wallsit until everyone recites it correctly. Yikes! It's good to hear from my Missionary buddies, and it's okay for you to send me their emails. Thanks for the support, I can feel the prayers, keep praying!!! Heaven knows I need it. :P The temple today was fantastic as I went through again. And we get to watch church approved movies every sunday night. It's a nice relief.

One more thing. Saturday was our first TA (Teaching Appointment) and we got to contact random people in Chinese for 15 minutes. Absolutely NO English allowed. Then we got to teach a 35 minute lesson in English. I feel pretty good about my contacting abilities (at least here) and our lesson went well. There are five companionships in my district, and each one taught a different investigator and two of the investigators we were teaching were REAL investigators!! AHHHH!!! Scary!!!

I'll write more about it in letter form later... talk to you next week! Love you!!

-Elder Carter

No comments: