Tuesday, September 10, 2013

China via Taiwan - Another Journey

It's been a few weeks since I've posted, but I'm glad to be back! Can you believe it?!! I'm in CHINA!! I've been waiting forEVER to get here, and here it is! These pics are actually mostly from Taiwan. 

Phina and I together on a moped (yes, she, a small Taiwanese girl, drove me, a big fat American man, on the back of a smallish moped through Gaoxiong in the south of Taiwan) :P.

Another of me and Phina in Hualian, which is Eastern Taiwan and is known for being absolutely gorgeous, and it was.

There's also a pic of Phina's family and I. Phina is taking the picture. I'll describe in a sec~ 

The last pic is my buddy Eric and I in front of the South gate to Nanjing University in Nanjing, China.

Well, I'm here! It took a lot of time and a lot of money, but I'm here, and I'll make it to December most likely ;P I'll be quick this post, because I have a lot of homework.
I got to Taiwan without a problem and proceeded to visit my mission and meet my girlfriend's parents and family and neighbors. Talk about adventure!!! I had three weeks in Taiwan and I visited all three main cities, and made it to the eastern coast as well. :D Endured and survived two Typhoons and spent every waking hour with my best friend.
Ate a lot of AWESOME food, and managed to not gain a single pound. I'm proud of that :D
One of the most painful days of my life happened on August 31st. I made it to the High Speed Train station and Phina and I stood there for nearly a half hour saying goodbye. We were about to part for the next four months. To us, it feels like it's going to be an eternity. I watched her walk out the station, and I decided that I never want to see her walk away again. That was extremely difficult to watch her walk out that door and have no way of running after her. But we'll be ok! It's good for us! Plus, we have daily contact anyway.
After I got to China, I found my buddy Eric in the motel waiting for me and we proceeded to spend the weekend hunting for an apartment.
We purchased a cell phone, rented an apartment, signed a contract, paid bills, and found our way to the University ALL on our own and ALL in Chinese!! I've never really worked with words like 'megabyte' 'kilowatt' 'degrees of electricity'... we also went and had internet installed in our apartment. The Nanjing Study Abroad program did nothing for us :D we did it all ourselves.
Anyway, that's the deal! I'm here going to class in my second week and we've already gone to see Sun Yat Sen's memorial and the first Ming Dynasty Emperor's tomb. We go to Shanghai this weekend for an LDS district conference. So, the adventure is well on its way.

I promise I will be persistent and consistent, depending on where I am in the country, and I will keep the posts as short as I can.
Miss you all!! Life is good, and I don't want to leave, but I also can't wait to get home to reunite with my ladyfriend and all my college buddies including coworkers. Keep in touch!
I have friends and family managing my Facebook and blog (since I can't use them in China) so feel free to message! My email is kovidude@gmail.com if you feel like directly messaging me.

Love you all!!

No comments: